DefinedMeaning talk:Arkansas (337982)
Hm. Where is Arkansas exactly? The Castilian says it's located in "el centro del país" -- the middle of the country -- while the German says "Sueden," or Southern. And the English definition places it in the mideast, which is not a region of the U.S. but the term applied to middle-eastern Asia.
Off the top of my head, I'd say Arkansas is in the South Central part of the U.S. Rsperberg 22:33, 28 May 2007 (EDT)
- Essentially there is one defining definition, this definition is to be translated as literally as possible so this should not be an issue. GerardM 02:02, 29 May 2007 (EDT)
- Well, that begs the question of whether the definition is correct in the first place. As for that, which definition is the one being translated? If it is the German, then the English should say "Southern" and not "mideast." If it's the Castilian, the English should say it's located in the central part of the country. And if the English is the original, I say it's incorrect.
- In the broadest sense, Arkansas is a state in the South -- I would include it if you asked "What are the Southern states?" I would locate Arkansas in the South Central part of the U.S., although no one would be able to provide you with a list of "South Central U.S." states -- that provides a clear sense of the position and not a general identification.
- Also, I think that "mideast" and "midwest" are terms that have very specific meanings in U.S. English and are best avoided in trying to identify a position within a geographic area. "Far East" and "Mideast" always refer to Asia and "Midwest" to a very specific set of U.S. states (see Colorado talk page for which states). Rsperberg 08:39, 29 May 2007 (EDT)
- To reiterate: whichever is the original, the other two definitions are not precise translations and each uses a term for locating the state that differs from the original. All three should agree. -- Rsperberg 14:59, 29 May 2007 (EDT)
- Spanish Wikipedia says center-south east, which is visually correct. Also in this case, center and south are also correct locations as Arkansas is in the intersection of the center the south and the east of the country. --Ascánder 18:29, 30 May 2007 (EDT)