As an anonymous user, you can only add new data. If you would like to also modify existing data, please create an account and indicate your languages on your user page.
DefinedMeaning talk:Bulgarian (383342)
A person of Bulgarian nationality
- That is, a citizen of Bulgaria? Andres 00:19, 16 November 2006 (CET)
- I noticed you made this comment for other Expressions, but I will just answer here... the thing is, one can be Bulgarian and not live in Bulgaria. I was born in and live in America, but I consider myself to be an Armenian because that is my nationality. Likewise, the term Bulgarian does not simply go for people that are citizens of Bulgaria - you can be a Bulgarian living in America, a Bulgarian living in Russia, etc. -Rappo 01:51, 16 November 2006 (CET)
- Then it should be stated more clearly. "Nationality" in English is ambiguous but it seems that in most cases it seems to refer to citizenship or something like this independently of your ethnic origin. When in an English questionnaire my nationality is asked I am supposed to wrote "Estonia" rather than "Estonian". This is not a question about my ethnic origin like национальность (in Russian) in the Soviet questionnaires. Therefore I suggest splitting this DM to "a person of Bulgarian ethnic origin" and other more definite meanings such as "a citizen of Bulgaria". Andres 02:34, 16 November 2006 (CET)
- Is there a language where those two definitions would have different words to go with them? -Rappo 02:40, 16 November 2006 (CET)
- In Estonian, usually different expressions are used in such cases, or at least, different synonyms so that the meanings are clearly distinct, especially for "Russian" and "Estonian" and some others for which there are clearly different words. But this applies to English too. For example "US citizen" and "US national" are not the same. And for "Bulgarian", in one case, "Bulgarian citizen" is a synonym, in the other case, perhaps "ethnic Bulgarian" is a synonym. So there must be different meanings in English too.
- I think we should distinguish between meanings even independently from translations. Andres 02:51, 16 November 2006 (CET)