DefinedMeaning talk:homonym (8252)
- Is it clearified that it just has to be spelled the same OR have the same pronounciation.
- same spelling, different pronounciation = homograph, homonym(?)
- same pronounciation, different spelling = homophone, homonym(?)
- same pronounciation, same spelling = homonym(?)
~ Dodde 22:31, 31 October 2006 (CET)
- The word "homonym" has several meanings. Even linguists don't use the word in just one way.
1. Homonyms are expressions that are pronounced the same way but have different meanings and origins. (Synonym: homophones).
2. Homonyms are expressions that are pronounced and written the same way but have different meanings and origins.
3. The definition here is a less rigorous, non-linguistic definition.
There are still other meanings. I think we should have different DM-s for those meanings. Andres 00:39, 1 November 2006 (CET)
- I put "and/or" in the definition to clarify. Probably other DM-s can be created. --Kip 15:38, 2 March 2011 (UTC)