So you want to become an OmegaWiki developer ...
You will need a reasonable understanding of PHP & MySQL web development, and version control with Git.
Setting up your environment
- Install Apache
- Install PHP 5.2.3+ with MySQL support/extension (don't forget to modify php.ini to activate the extension). Watch out: Some distributions are still using 5.1. Be sure to check! You can use this handy script: phpinfo.
- if you have "php5-suhosin" installed, you'll need to remove it since it breaks some functionalities of OmegaWiki because it limits the amount of information sent by POST, or something like that.
- Install MySQL 5+
- Configure MySQL to use UTF-8:
- Edit your my.cnf configuration file
[mysqld], add the following lines:
[mysql], add the following:
- Restart MySQL. When you run the "status" command in the MySQL client, all "characterset" settings should be set to "utf8" like this:
Server characterset: utf8
Db characterset: utf8
Client characterset: utf8
Conn. characterset: utf8
- Install Git
sudo apt-get install apache2 libapache2-mod-auth-mysql libapache2-mod-php5 php5 php5-intl php5-mysql mysql-client mysql-server git git-review
Installing MediaWiki and WikiLexicalData
There are two options:
Understanding the code
To understand the MySQL structure for OmegaWiki, see Help:OmegaWiki database layout
Documentation can use improvement. Help is especially needed in this department! Contact Erik (erik AT wikimedia DOT org) and he'll give you a whirlwind tour through the main things you understand.
A good place to start is the general MediaWiki documentation.
- Help:Downloading the data - various dumps and other possibilities to download the data.