As an anonymous user, you can only add new data. If you would like to also modify existing data, please create an account and indicate your languages on your user page.
Help:Defining a new word
(Redirected from Help:Editing)
This page explains how to add a new word in a given language (i.e. an Expression).
The first step is to make sure that the word does not already exists.
Is the word not already defined?
Let's assume that you want to define the word "dictionary" (English):
- Type "dictionary" in the search field (top right of the page).
- Be aware that capitalization is important. In OmegaWiki, "dictionary" is defined, but "Dictionary" is not.
- if it exists, you will be taken to the page Expression:dictionary. If the meaning that you are looking for it not there, then you just have to click edit and add a new meaning.
- If it does not exist, then search whether synonyms of that word are not there (in the case of "dictionary", there is not really a synonym.)
- Then check whether translations of the same concept in other languages that you know are present. Look for example for "dictionnaire", "Wörterbuch".
- If none of these exist, then proceed to adding the word.
Adding the word
- Type again the word that you are trying to define in the search field.
- For example, typing "wordThatDoesNotExist" will take you to the following page:
- The page proposes you to add a new expression corresponding to that spelling (first line). This is what you want. Click on the red link Expression:wordThatDoesNotExist.
- the second option is to create a standard wiki page, but that is not what you are looking for in that case.
- You will obtain a page with empty boxes.
- Click on the down arrow on the field at the right side of “Language” (that is, the “Add language” link);
- Find in the list the name of the language corresponding to the word you are adding.
- If you are defining the word "dictionary", the language is English.
- If you are defining the word "dictionnaire", the language is French, etc.
- Do not forget to click on the language in the dropdown list to really select the language. Just writing the name of the language in the field is not enough.
- Below "Definition", repeat the same process to select a language that corresponds to the language of the definition you are writing.
- Note: It is often, but not always, the same language as above. For example, if you are an English speaker, and want to define the French word "anouble" for which there is no English translation, then the language of the word is "French", but the language of the definition will be "English".
- At the large field, on the right side of the language name, type your definition, naturally respecting copyright laws. Cf. Help:Definition.
- At the “Summary” field (last line of the page), you can optionally type a short description of the performed task. Example: Creation with pt def (NOTE: pt def = definition in Portuguese; en trans = translation into English – etc);
- Read your definition again, in search of eventual errors (content or typing errors, e.g.).
- Click on the Save button.