As an anonymous user, you can only add new data. If you would like to also modify existing data, please create an account and indicate your languages on your user page.
Meta:Word of the day archive/2013/01
- 2013-01-01:An instrument for making distant objects look nearer, with separate eyepieces for each eye.
- 2013-01-02:Zoophyte with a calcareous shell ornated with mobile spines.
hurcheon • sea urchin
- 2013-01-03:A fish of the species Xiphias gladius with a long flat bill.
- 2013-01-04:The right or opportune moment.
- 2013-01-05:A taste remaining after the substance causing it is no longer in the mouth.
- 2013-01-06:An appendage of a fish that they use to swim.
- 2013-01-07:A relatively small, reddish and grey-brow Eurasian deer of the species Capreolus capreolus.
roe • western roe deer • European roe deer
- 2013-01-08:Resembling or characteristic of a devil.
devilish • diabolical • diabolic
- 2013-01-09:The art and technology of fireworks and related military applications.
- 2013-01-10:To change from a fluid into a thickened mass.
- 2013-01-11:The application of engineering principles to address challenges in the fields of biology and medicine.
bioengineering • biotechnological engineering • biological engineering
- 2013-01-12:Relating to the pledging of a property to secure a debt.
- 2013-01-13:An instrument that measures the inclination of the wind to the horizontal plane.
- 2013-01-14:A method of medical imaging where radioisotopes are administered in a patient, and the emitted radiation is captured to form two-dimensional images.
- 2013-01-15:Not conforming with accepted or orthodox standards or beliefs.
- 2013-01-16:A motion picture format where the projection frame rate is higher than 24 frames per second.
High Frame Rate • HFR
- 2013-01-17:A sport in which two teams must pull a rope in opposite directions.
tug of war • tug o' war • tugging war • rope pulling • rope war
- 2013-01-18:A settlement reached by concessions from the involved parties.
- 2013-01-19:A parasitic disease caused by the development of a Guinea worm in the subcutaneous tissue of mammals.
dracunculiasis • Guinea worm disease
- 2013-01-20:A fresh-water branchiopod crustacean of the genus Daphnia characterized by a transparent bivalve shell.
- 2013-01-21:An pale yellow insect of the genus Dactylosphaera vitifoliae that feeds on the roots and leaves of grapevines.
- 2013-01-22:The ability of pathologic cells to withstand chemicals that are designed to aid in the eradication of such cells.
multiple drug resistance • multidrug resistance
- 2013-01-23:An open boat propelled by pulling oars through the water.
rowboat • row-boat • rowing boat
- 2013-01-24:A mite of the species Trombicula autumnalis infecting all domestic mammals, humans, and some birds.
- 2013-01-25:Whether that is true or not.
be that as it may
- 2013-01-26:Chemical element with symbol Pr and atomic number 59, silvery white lanthanide.
- 2013-01-27:Someone who makes mistakes because of incompetence.
bungler • botcher • blunderer
- 2013-01-28:A cast-iron weight, resembling a cannonball with a handle, used to perform ballistic exercises.
kettlebell • girya
- 2013-01-29:A feather on the tail of a bird.
- 2013-01-30:A person who uses skill and deception to win at poker or other card games.
cardshark • card shark • cardsharp • card sharp
- 2013-01-31:A production that exceeds the demand by consumers.
overproduction • oversupply • excess of supply