As an anonymous user, you can only add new data. If you would like to also modify existing data, please create an account and indicate your languages on your user page.
Meta:Word of the day archive/2013/05
- 2013-05-01:A very fine starch powder derived from corn, used as a thickener in cooking.
maize starch • cornflour • cornstarch
- 2013-05-02:To cover a surface, such as a road or a street, with a layer of crushed stones.
- 2013-05-03:The senior cardinal deacon of the Catholic Church, in order of appointment.
- 2013-05-04:The boundary of heliosphere where the Sun's solar wind is stopped by the interstellar medium.
- 2013-05-05:A type of inflorescence arranged in a cylindrical cluster.
- 2013-05-06:A small clump of dust that tends to accumulate indoors in areas that are not regularly dusted, such as under heavy furniture.
dust bunny • beggar's velvet • slut's wool
- 2013-05-07:The rim of a ring within which a jewel is set.
collet • bezel
- 2013-05-08:Insisting on perfection can result in no improvement at all.
perfect is the enemy of good
- 2013-05-09:A card with a magnetic stripe or a chip that is used to open a door.
- 2013-05-10:The hollow or separation between a woman's breasts.
cleavage • intermammary cleft • intermammary sulcus
- 2013-05-11:A risky venture with an uncertain outcome.
crapshoot • gamble
- 2013-05-12:An enemy pretending to be a friend.
- 2013-05-13:To execute or confront a task with dedication and diligence.
pull one's socks up
- 2013-05-14:A railroad passenger car that has beds where passengers can sleep.
sleeper • sleeper car • sleeping car
- 2013-05-15:The ability to shoot accurately at a target.
- 2013-05-16:A spice commonly used in curries and other South Asian cuisine.
- 2013-05-17:A place where seeds are stored for short-term use in farming or for long-term preservation.
- 2013-05-18:A separation of circulating blood from the brain extracellular fluid in the central nervous system.
- 2013-05-19:A sterile female bee whose speciality is to support the hive, especially by collecting pollen.
- 2013-05-20:The recording of the keys struck on a keyboard, typically in a covert manner so that the person using the keyboard is unaware that their actions are being monitored.
- 2013-05-21:A class of malware which restricts access to the computer system that it infects, and demands a ransom paid to the creator of the malware in order for the restriction to be removed.
- 2013-05-22:The fruit of Annona muricata, a tree native to Mexico.
- 2013-05-23:Any condition that develops following some stressful situation or event; such as sleep disturbance, recurrent dreams, withdrawal or lack of concentration.
post-traumatic stress disorder • PTSD
- 2013-05-24:Mid-calf pants worn in warm weather.
Capri pants • clam diggers • three-quarter shorts
- 2013-05-25:A headache affecting one side of the head.
- 2013-05-26:In a very surprising or shocking manner that causes astonishment.
jaw-droppingly • breathtakingly
- 2013-05-27:A pharmacological or immunological agent that enhances the effect of other agents, such as a drug or vaccine.
- 2013-05-28:If something ends well, the problems that one may have had to face are not important.
all is well that ends well
- 2013-05-29:An intermediate dealer between a manufacturer and a retailer or customer.
middleman • middle man
- 2013-05-30:The formal opposition to the separation of church and state.
- 2013-05-31:A dish made of bread soaked in beaten eggs and then fried.
French toast • Gypsy toast • eggy bread