As an anonymous user, you can only add new data. If you would like to also modify existing data, please create an account and indicate your languages on your user page.
- For practical reasons. This wiki interface is primarily English. All the other country portals of non English speaking countries I checked had their names in English. If you propose to include all the local languages of the country, fine, then we'd better include them. I didn't mean to exclude Tamil.--Anandawardhana 09:04, 26 October 2011 (UTC)
- The tamil line we had was wrong. If we include the country name in all local languages, I propose we should include both Sinhala (used by about 86% of the population) and Tamil (used by about 12%) Correct Tamil name is இலங்கை சனநாயக சமத்துவ குடியரசு and Sinhala name is ශ්රී ලංකා ප්රජාතාන්ත්රික සමාජවාදී ජනරජය . And for the sake of consistancy (of the interface) I propose we should keep the English title as well. Thanks. --Anandawardhana 09:09, 26 October 2011 (UTC)
- Ok now I understand.
- In fact, the portals are supposed to be written in the local language. But now that I think a bit more about it, you are right that this causes a problem for countries with several official languages. In fact I am not sure why we have country portals... But at least the language portals should stay in the local languages, such as Portal:fra and Portal:deu.
- So, for Portal:LK we can keep it like this. It should be discussed with the affected community, but we have no regular contributor involved in these languages or this country, so... you just have to agree with yourself ;-) Thanks! --Kip 12:29, 26 October 2011 (UTC)
- Thanks :) I thought we already had active users in Sinhala and Tamil. I'll try to encourage some of the others who are active in Sinhala wikipedia and wiktionary. I heard about this only yesterday, through your blogpost about OmegaWiki, Wiktionary and the Wikimedia Foundation. I think this is a very significant project.--Anandawardhana 03:11, 27 October 2011 (UTC)
- We have words in these languages mainly because we copy translations from Wiktionary.
- People come and go. At the moment we have active contributors in French, German, English of course, Mongolian, Minnan, Slovenian and Tagalog. Advertisement is never bad, thank you for that ;-)
- I have given you rights to modify existing data and have added your Babel template. --Kip 18:26, 27 October 2011 (UTC)