- 1 New user
- 2 Fixing per a request
- 3 Mayan languages
- 4 Edit permissions
- 5 Hi Gerard
- 6 Relations
- 7 New (Czech) user
- 8 Gefeliciteerd
- 9 Request for Edit rights
- 10 Edit rights request
- 11 edit rights for Gheg Albanian
- 12 والوونی
- 13 Thanks but
- 14 Permissions
- 15 Brabants en CLDR
- 16 Permission
- 17 Request for edit rights
- 18 Thanks
- 19 Gathering of leaders of great data repositories.
- 20 Request for permission
- 21 Conjunction
- 22 Request for Khmer Edit Permission
- 23 Taboo subjects
- 24 Source of Welsh expressions
- 25 Image links
- 26 hello
- 27 Partners
Hello. I'm new, and I have read about DM. My native tongue is Norwegian. Could you grant me edit permit?
Is the goal of this site to be able to choose what languages to be displayed in searches and browsing? So that when you read Dutch, all definitions will be in dutch? --Troskyldigheten 08:15, 10 January 2009 (EST)
- Something like it.. We can only show definitions in your language when the definition has been translated in your language .. obviously :) Thanks, GerardM 08:39, 10 January 2009 (EST)
- Yeah...but what about sorting out all definitions in other languages, showing only what's relevant to you? Eliminate the need to click + and -. I think that would be another good idea... THanks..--Troskyldigheten 09:34, 10 January 2009 (EST)
Fixing per a request
I've changed 'platform' to 'compartment' per the criticism. What do you do with the template afterward? Durova 16:26, 4 February 2009 (EST)
Thanks, Malafaya 11:26, 18 February 2009 (EST)
Hi there, please could I have edit permissions. I have read the DefinedMeaning article. I hope to contribute as much of the Cornish language to the site as I can. Regards, --Moon 18:07, 4 March 2009 (EST)
Hi Gerard This is Ahmed Najib Biabani Ibrahimkhel. one of the users of omegawiki and other wikis. I am wondering about how i can change the interface of omegawiki from english into pashto. It is already translated some percent and the file could be imported from Pashto wikipedia .
Could you help me in this matter?
--ANBI 22:20, 27 March 2009 (EDT)
- When you look at the Special:Version page for this wiki, you will learn that it is on an ancient version of MediaWiki. Consequently it is on the best Pashto localisation of MediaWiki. However, there is still merit in selecting Pashto as the language of your UI because it will show the content of OmegaWiki differently. When it knows a label or a language name, it will show it in Pashto.
- One caveat, the language names have to be imported, all the other labels are just there. Thanks, GerardM 02:05, 28 March 2009 (EDT)
Malafaya verwees naar jou bij mijn vraag onder Meta:International Beer Parlour#Relations; ik zou het waarderen als je daar e.e.a. zou kunnen ophelderen. Bij voorbaat dank. – McDutchie 10:13, 28 April 2009 (EDT)
New (Czech) user
Hi, I have read the DM and I think I am ready to translate the meanings to czech. I am also a wiktionary contributor, but I have found this as better desinged project.--Stardust85 22:13, 2 May 2009 (EDT)
- Done, GerardM 00:48, 3 May 2009 (EDT)
Request for Edit rights
Hello, I am interested in editing in this wiki. It seems quite promising and could be extremely helpful in teaching/learning languages, which is a current interest of mine. Thank you for your consideration. --Jeffmcneill 02:42, 12 May 2009 (EDT)
Edit rights request
Hello, GerardM. I hereby request edit rights. :-) Ensjo 09:34, 24 June 2009 (EDT)
edit rights for Gheg Albanian
I'd like to contribute with Gheg Albanian.
Hallo Gerard, Het lijkt erop dat nl.wikti en omegawiki de bron van deze spelling van het Perzische woord voor Walloons zijn. Er staan twee wafs in en dat lijkt me erg raar. Met een enkele والونی heeft ook meer treffers. Ik heb het op nl verschoven. Groeten Jcwf 00:06, 7 September 2009 (UTC)
Ook de fa.wiki heeft het met een enkele.
Thanks for the welcome message you left on my talk page.
I tried to get on IRC but I haven't used it a lot and I can't see how to register a name with Nickserv, using Chatzilla on Firefox. Any idea where I could get some help with that?--Filceolaire 17:53, 12 September 2009 (UTC)
- Never mind. Found a help page on Freenode. See you there!--Filceolaire 18:08, 12 September 2009 (UTC)
- I noticed that you were at IRC .. I was otherwise occupied at the time.. Thanks, GerardM 18:36, 12 September 2009 (UTC)
I tried to add some translations to some words, but it won't let me. I understand I need permissions for this. Also, I put the babel template(s) on my page, but they display wrong. --Anime Addict 16:26, 13 September 2009 (UTC)
Brabants en CLDR
Hi Gerard, while Brabantian is certainly not among the most important world languages ;-) nevertheless I want to let you know of the conversation at:
Greetings. --Purodha Blissenbach 23:02, 18 December 2009 (UTC)
Good afternoon! Please give me edit permission.--Herlen 06:45, 12 April 2010 (UTC)
Request for edit rights
Would you please give me edit rights? Thanks. --Linforest 14:43, 12 April 2010 (UTC)
Thanks Gerard for your quick response. I have changed my interface to Telugu my native language. Looks cool. Sure, will ask you whenever I need help. :) --Ravichandra 06:56, 19 May 2010 (UTC)
Gathering of leaders of great data repositories.
Request for permission
Want to try to add some norwegian after the mail on Foundation-l ;) Laaknor 10:31, 19 July 2010 (UTC)
- Done GerardM 10:36, 19 July 2010 (UTC)
- Thank you :) Laaknor 10:48, 19 July 2010 (UTC)
Since you are the one who added the word "voegwoord", please have a look at this question about word.
Yours sincerely. --Fiable.biz 05:16, 31 July 2010 (UTC)
Request for Khmer Edit Permission
Hello, I am interested in doing some work on the Khmer dictionary, can you grant me editing permission? Thanks.
Source of Welsh expressions
I notice that you are listed as the contributor for some, if not all, of the Welsh expressions in Omegawiki. Could you tell me what your source was? The reason that I ask is that a lot of the Welsh language names are incorrect (the expressions are either an adjective or the Welsh word for a man or woman of that country, rather than the language). My main aim in working here at Omegawiki is to correct the errors. But I would like to be able to follow up the input source to see if I can correct the errors there too. Lloffiwr 11:17, 12 June 2011 (UTC)
- The first language names I had from a website that specialised in this. After this I used Wiktionary as a source. The issue I faced is that when you want to get a long list of information in a language you do not know, you can only hope that it will be ok. The question is what is worse, errors or nothing. Even when it is wrong it shows interest.. but at the same time it is not correct... :( Thanks, GerardM 16:02, 12 June 2011 (UTC)
- Thank you for your prompt reply. I will have a look at Wiktionary when I get some spare time. Which website did you use? As to the trade-off between missing data and incorrect data, I prefer to have it missing, myself. Have you seen this article on the Google translate API, discussing the difficulties of getting machines to work with lesser-used languages? Lloffiwr 12:56, 29 June 2011 (UTC)
Hi! The links to images should not be in the form:
but rather in the form:
The translation from commons.wikimedia.org to upload.wikimedia.org is done automatically, and the advantage is that if you click on the image, you are taken to the page http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Macropus_rufogriseus_rufogriseus_Bruny.jpg which contains image license information.
Furthermore, in fact the actual image which is loaded is not the full image at http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Macropus_rufogriseus_rufogriseus_Bruny.jpg , but a smaller version of the image ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e6/Macropus_rufogriseus_rufogriseus_Bruny.jpg/200px-Macropus_rufogriseus_rufogriseus_Bruny.jpg ). --Kip 13:10, 9 January 2012 (UTC)
hello m.r gerard I have a request . i want you to tell me how to create this page http://www.omegawiki.org/index.php?title=Expression:Southern_Luri&action=edit&redlink=1 for Southern Luri. if you can help me answer this, thanks
- Ooit maakte je wat bedrijven partner, waarvor hartelijk dank. Is er, afgezien van Dictionary for MIDs na 2007 nog iets mee gadaan, van gehoord en/of gezien?
- (0706)Universität Bamberg
- (0706)World Language Documentation Centre
- (0707)Gene Ontology Consortium
- (0707)Erasmus Medical Center
- (0707)National Library of Medicine
- (0707)Swiss Institute for Bioinformatics
Legenda: tussen haakjes de laatste bewerking op de betreffende pagina jjmm in de 21e eeuw
- For everything that is medical-related (3-7), they created their own wiki, which originally used the source code of omegawiki, but then evolved. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiProfessional. Apparently it didn't work out since it is now offline.
- When I saw that they had their own wiki, I had removed their data from Omegawiki to reduce the database size / improve server speed.
- Knewco contributed money for the initial development of Omegawiki, so they should at least stay as historical partners.
- WLDC I don't know but we have all their iso 639-3 codes with now some translations so maybe it is of interest to them.
- Bamberg university I think they had contact with Sabine. --Kip (talk) 11:36, 13 October 2018 (CEST)
- Great! I've informed her as well. So for Bamberg we leave any action to her and for WLDC one of the triumvirate Sabine, you or me. I believe partners like those two are very useful to create and maintain content. Too bad Gerard is apparently busy with other activities. Klaas `Z4␟` V: 10:27, 14 October 2018 (CEST)